How to have Quiz results not included in final grade
I want students to do practice quizzes and other quizzes that are just checked for completion and not graded. How do I set up a quiz so that the students’ grades do not automatically go into the gradebook?
Solution 1. Quiz is not displayed in Gradebook at all
- Create a quiz
- Clcik on Cog/wheel icon on right hand side > Edit quiz (You will be taken to the 'Editing quiz' page)
- Set 'Maximum grade' (top of quiz page): 0.00 (zero)
- Assign a mark to each question ("Marked out of:", click Save button for each question mark change you make)
- Relatively simple to set up.
- Quiz is NOT displayed in Gradebook. This can be confusing to both students and teachers.
- Student never sees the mark for the whole quiz. When they review the quiz, they can see if they got each question right or wrong.
- Teacher can only view quiz activity via View attempts. But only for students who have attempted the quiz; students who have not attempted the quiz are not listed.
Solution 2. Quiz is displayed in Gradebook, but not included in Course total
- Create quiz as if it was going to be included in the Final grade. i.e. Each question has a value and Quiz Maximum grade has a value greater than zero.
- Go to gradebook setup.
- Scroll down and select "Add a category".
- Category name: (eg. 'Not included in Course Total')
- Under Parent category, set weight to zero.
- Move the quiz into the "Not included in Course Total" category.
- Quiz IS displayed in Gradebook.
- Student can see mark for whole quiz.
- Teacher can see how successful the students were.
- Teacher can easily review students who have not completed the quiz (via Gradebook).
- This category can be used for any activity (e.g. assignments, forums, etc) the teacher doesn't want included in the Course total calculations.
- A little more complicated to set up, more steps.
- Quizzes have to be in a separate category from all the other quizzes.
- More documentations Hide Moodle Activities from Student Gradebook